La Teatrista

guerillera de la cultura

Sunday, January 08, 2006

New York

I just recently arrived from a magical trip in New York. My dearest most loved friends all convened in NYC for New Year's. I must admit it was a decadent week, but most enlightening. I got to read some poetry at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, the amazing breeding ground for Latino performance artistry and read Para las Muertas de Juarez (For the women of Juarez). I felt it was the most appropriate since it represented the border, the fact that it is still an issue that lost its press.... I got to see some really good poets but thanks to the daubachery that took me hostage, I could only remember one name. I do remember a line from a poet that should have won in my opinion when he was talking about standing up to be a man despite the disentegration of urban families: (a reference to masturbation then) "I am no palm reader but I can see the future in my hands". Another poet's work touched on her experience with AIDS from an abusive father. All of liberal views and the music guy that wrote a DR Pepper jingle that really worked the "I am a white guy but I support" with excellent sensitivity and sincere thought that was very welcome in a mostly afro-latino-muslim audience. All were very supportive and surprisingly unpretenious (which sometimes tends to find it's way here) and I popped my Nuyorican cherry and recieved a sticker for my piece, proof that Fort Worth was represented. l saw a cabaret show at the shwanky, all class -Duvet. It
was visually stunning: singers and dancers, beautiful costumes and very very hot ladies enjoying their sass. After our bottle service arrived, it was on.
The place turned to a sexy gay mecca, our server (friend of my firend) reported John Leguizamo was there. I spent the rest of the night with a roving eye...never saw him, but I was ready.

I rocked in the Eve with an Irish freedom rock band Black 47. All I remember was dancing my butt off with a very beautiful Irishman
and yelling freedom at the end of the night while twirling to a reggae spiced tune. Saw some good 'ol Irish brawls...passed out.

I saw an off Broadway play that was very interesting. "Apparitions" was a collection of ghost stories, some modern some older but it was confusing to understand why we needed to listen to them and who were these people that were telling us their tales. The credits of those involved were impressive but the writing was difficult to follow. I find non-linear plays are the new language thanks to film, but when you add poetry that is hard to hear..well you lose the audience. A couple of the actors were amazing, handling subtleties with grace, transitions with such skill all in very voluminous monologues. Most of the show was in the dark which made it hard to stay awake and the sound was trying to be tantalizing. It left me wanting more. One of the actresses I knew had to be dating the director, there was no way. All in all once again, I was encouraged with our work here in Fort Worth.

The Thai food, the pizza, the drizzle and music. The hard straight forward attitudes that softens more often than expected...
I love it. Here is my ode:

City of promise, of people,
of puddles and teaming lights,
of cold January winds
like simple arrows aimed to find warmth.
Inside worlds tucked into streets
like Christmas stockings,
surprises are wrapped in lands as quilts,
sewn together with threads of common dreams.
Here the pulse throbs around you
breathing through the rhythms of pavement, heartbeats and steel.

2 Comments:

Blogger La Teatrista said...

it was absolutely phenomenal!!! It is so exciting!!! You know I have your painting framed right in center watching over me on my desk :) My favorite still a treasure. ANy new stuff?

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New stuff? Not really...nothing worth mentioning. I am going to jump on the myspace bandwagon and I will post some things alongside my husbands work. He's amazing.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home